i must touch it!
printed books will never die. there is something about holding a piece of paper in your hands that cannot be replicated by an electronic version. i'm working on writing my seminar paper (and yes, i am currently procrastinating) and i think about how much paper i am wasting. i have to print out all 26 pages of the paper each time i want to do any major revision. i cannot revise it on the screen. maybe it's a mental block or maybe i need the encouragement of looking at the paper and seeing changes to be made, which indicates progress. either way, i think there is just something unique about paper. i write better on paper too, though i am too lazy to go to all of that effort.
even though technology is amazing, there are just some things it cannot yet recreate: curling up with a big book and reading for hours, a first kiss, the taste of ice cream. i think people tend to turn more and more to technology to solve problems that it cannot, and should not, solve.

2 Comments:
Not to alarm you, but when I first read your title I was a little taken aback. Heehee, that's me with my dirty mind again. You know what technology can't recreate? My happiness before law school, my athletic and healthy body before law school, and the social life I once had. You know what technology can create? I can put my face on Mr. Rushmore. I think it's a good trade off.
I just can't do the ebook thing for novels. I have sites where I can gank for free every major book that comes out. Folks hurry home from the bookstore, rip them apart and OCR scan them into the computer. While I salute the technology, you just can't get past the tangible feel of pulpy pages beneath your fingers.
To out wierd you Jaded, I can't stand reading hardbacks. I like a flexible spine I can bend and mutilate. I read most of the time right before I go to sleep and as such usually only have one hand holding the book to minimize effort. Hardbacks just tire your arm out too much.
Post a Comment
<< Home